What is succession planning?
Succession Planning is the the process through which organisations identify and develop potential future leaders, senior managers or business critical positions. But without succession planning software, plans based on spreadsheets soon become out-of-date and lack credibility.
What are the benefits of succession planning – and succession planning software?
- Minimise business risk
- More accurate planning for the future
- Highlight areas of succession risk
- Offer career development for employees
- Confidence that your data is up-to-date and relevant
- Flags those with potential
- Enables employees to indicate their career plan thoughts
How to get started with Succession Planning
There are 3 key activities that you need to undertake when starting out with succession planning; defining the critical roles; deciding how to identify successors; and creating the talent pool. Our Ultimate Guide to Succession Planning takes you through these key steps as well as how to set up (or update) your Talent Review Process. You can request your copy to be sent straight to your inbox.
Succession planning software: providing a strategic line of sight
Talent Successor is online succession planning software like nothing else. It helps you to embed succession planning throughout your organisation, ensure a continuity of talent and enable meaningful career conversations.
Talent Successor gives you a strategic ‘line of sight’ for key people in your organisation – where they are today and where they could be. You’ll be able to build specific talent pools and see where the gaps are between current capabilities and those needed in the future. You will be able to answer key talent questions asked of you by your Board or in Talent Review meetings relating to succession planning. You’ll be able to build succession plans that are robust and realistic.
How online succession planning software supports your organisation
- Identify and map progression of those with high potential
- Support meaningful career conversations
- Build talent pools for ‘at risk’ posts and vacancies
- Inform Talent Review meetings
- Let employees identify themselves for progression
- Uncover employees with experience and skills for specific roles
- Learn what development is still needed to ensure delivery of the succession plan
- Monitor progress of succession plans
Tricky succession planning questions to answer
Can you answer those tricky questions asked of you by senior managers about succession risk and business risk? They’re not always as simple, quick or straightforward as you would hope. How do you deal with these? Read more >>
How to make succession planning more effective
Do you have robust succession plans in place for your critical posts, high potentials and high impact performers? If not, is it time to look at how to make succession planning more effective in your organisation? Read more >>
Are succession plans becoming shorter and more guided?
We think that the days of long-term succession plans are over: it’s no longer realistic to have a 5 year succession plan or think talented people will wait around. Read our thoughts. Read more >>
Reinventing Succession Planning at McDonald’s
McDonald’s has moved away from a paper- and spreadsheet-based talent management approach and deployed Talent Successor to capture career aspirations, support career conversations and manage succession and talent risk. Read more >>
Talent Successor Summary Features
- Multi-lingual interface and preferred language settings
- Create Skills, Capability, Qualification Frameworks
- Organisation chart display of team structure including succession status, potential, flight risk, span
- Create Talent Pools to succeed person, role, vacancy, other
- Percentage match against role profile for each member of a Talent Pool
- Gap Analysis from Talent Pool
- End-user functionality to edit an AboutMe skill profiles, with Manager ‘verification’
- Administrator/Manager/HR Business Partner access to extended items (talent category, flight risk, potential rating)
- End-user can specify future roles
- Managers can specify future roles with timeframe
- To create a grid showing users plotted against a performance and potential axes, including within grid positioning for flight risk and readiness
- Extensive Search, Alerts, Reporting, Benchmarking and exports
Get in touch for a full feature listing.
Ready for the next step? Schedule a demo of our online Succession Planning tool, or learn more by reading our product flyer.
Watch our Talent Successor videos
See how Talent Successor
supports the talent review
a new model - One
Hear about the latest
research and thinking on
talent and the implications
for succession planning
a new model - Two
Continues to explore how
talent views their career and
the impact this has on
Book a Talent Successor Demo
We’d love to explore with you how our online succession planning software may support you – and we can do this by taking you through a demonstration.
Please complete the form and we’ll get back to you to confirm and send you details.
In summary, Talent Successor:
- Gives a strategic ‘line of sight’ for key people in your organisation – where they are today and where they could be.
- Lets you build specific talent pools and to see where the gaps are between current capabilities and those needed in the future.
- Uncovers employees with experience and skills for specific roles.
- Answers key talent questions asked of you by your Board relating to succession planning.
- Monitors progress of succession plans.
Become a partner
The Talent Successor technology is available to partner organisations that want to make use of its power and flexibility to run succession planning software for their clients.
Visit our Consulting Partners page for more details.
Sign up to our newsletter for all the updates